Astigmatism Treatment in Shreveport, LA
Astigmatism is one of the main eye conditions that affect vision across the world. It’s classified as a “refractive vision issue,” a group of eye conditions that requires glasses or contacts for correction. Other refractive vision issues include myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and presbyopia.
Among these refractive vision issues, astigmatism is the most variable: it can cause eyesight to be blurry nearby, at a distance, or at multiple ranges at once. Astigmatism sometimes occurs with myopia or hyperopia. Or it may occur without either.
What Causes Astigmatism?
There are two parts of the eye that are responsible for focusing vision: the cornea, which is the frontmost layer of the eye, and the crystalline lens, which is the flexible tissue just behind the pupil. Together, they focus light onto the retina — the structure in the eye which sends images to the brain.
Refractive vision issues occur when either the cornea is shaped incorrectly or when the eye is too long or too short. The result is that light is not clearly in focus when it lands on the retina and therefore is unable to produce clear vision. Astigmatism can occur in either the cornea or the crystalline lens, which are distinct forms of this condition.
Depending on the location and severity of the astigmatism, vision may be blurry over a range of distances.
The Problem in a Nutshell:
- Multiple ranges of one’s field of vision may appear blurry
- The cornea or the lens is irregularly shaped
Astigmatism Treatment at Lusk Eye Specialists
Specialized eyewear can help astigmatism in some patients, but we’ve found that many of our patients prefer to permanently solve their astigmatism with a simple surgical option. They prefer a life free from the costs and hassle of glasses and contacts. Our surgical team, led by James E. Lusk, M.D., Bryan E. Lusk, M.D., and Jeffrey D. Lusk, M.D., have decades of experience and work at the forefront of their field. With their expertise, advanced medical technology, and compassionate treatment, they’ve helped thousands of patients with astigmatism, earning their place among the best eye surgeons in the Ark-La-Tex.
At Lusk Eye Specialists, we’re able to treat astigmatism the way that’s best for each patient:
- LASIK: Our most popular laser eye surgery, which gently reshapes the cornea
- PRK: An alternative form of LASIK which is a better fit for some patients
- Cataract Surgery: A special intraocular lens, called a Toric Lens, can be used when performing cataract surgery to correct astigmatism
- Clear Lens Extraction/RLE: A procedure to replace the eye’s natural lens with an “intraocular lens,” or IOL, which improves several refractive vision issues
- Visian ICL: An “implantable contact lens” is placed in the eye, which is designed primarily for myopic (nearsighted) astigmatism
- Eyewear: We’re happy to provide solutions using glasses and contacts whenever possible to patients who prefer eyewear
We’re ready to help you understand your Shreveport astigmatism correction options, and move forward with life-changing vision improvement. Call us at Lusk Eyes Specialists today at (318) 284-5550, or request an appointment!